Get Help Now
Branch Office: 01253 478492
UNISON Direct: 08000 857 857

Join UNISON Blackpool Local Government Branch

Membership via Salary/Wages

The simplest method of becoming a member of UNISON is to pay direct from your salary/wages.  This is also known as DOCAS payment.  It's easier for you as the correct subscription band is calculated for you and any changes in your salary are reflected automatically.  Some of the employers covered by our branch allow this type of membership payment.

"I work for... Can I pay from my wages?"

Currently you can pay your membership via your salary/wages if you work for:

  • Blackpool Council
  • Blackpool Coastal Housing
  • Most Blackpool Schools:
    • If your salary is administered by Blackpool Council, you can usually pay your membership via your salary/wages
    • If you work at an FCAT school
    • check with your school Business Manager or contact us if you're unsure
  • Some other employers - contact us if you are unsure
"Does this mean my employer will know I'm in a Union?"

Although your employer will know you're in a Trade Union if you pay your membership through your wages/salary, only employers who have full Trade Union recognition offer this method.  You cannot be discriminated against for Trade Union membership - this is a protected right in law.  Paying via your salary/wages also shows the employer how many members of staff are members; the more we have the less likely the employer will make changes without proper and full consultation and negotiation. 

 "What if my employer doesn't offer the ability to pay via my salary/wages?"

You can still be a member of UNISON if you cannot pay via your salary/wages by paying your membership via Direct Debit.  You can do this directly through the branch or online.

"Ok, I'm in.  What do I need to do?"

We will need your signature on a membership form for us to be able to collect your membership directly from your employer. You can either contact us or your workplace steward/rep for a DOCAS membership form or download one here. Please return it directly to the branch for us to process. If you work for Blackpool Council or Blackpool Coastal Housing, you can pop it in the internal post:

UNISON Blackpool LG Branch
Coastal House
17 -19 Abingdon Street

Or you can scan the completed from and email it to us at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.